Chelikowsky, James R., Ph.D.
Professor, W.A. “Tex” Moncrief, Jr. Chair of Computational Materials
|Office:||ACE 4.324||Mailing Address:|
|Phone:||(512) 232-9083||The University of Texas at Austin|
|Fax:||Department of Physics|
||200 E Dean Keeton St. Stop C0400|
|UT Mail:||C0200||Austin, TX 78712-1589|
Research Areas: Advanced Materials, Polymers & Nanotechnology, Energy and Modeling & Simulation
Ph.D., Physics, The University of California at Berkeley (1975)
B.S., Physics, Kansas State University (1970)
- Quantum models for functionalized nanostructures
- Simulations of liquids and crystal growth
- “Green magnetism” and dilute magnetic semiconductors
- Defects in oxides
- Materials informatics
- High performance algorithms for the electronic structure problem
Awards & Honors
Fellow of the Materials Research Society (2011)
Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (2007)
David Adler Lectureship Award from the American Physical Society (2006)
David Turnbull Lectureship Award from the Materials Research Society (2001)
Guggenheim Fellow (1996)
Fellow of the American Physical Society (1987)
- T.-L. Chan, J. R. Chelikowsky and S. B. Zhang: ” An effective one-particle theory for formation energies in doping Si nanostructures,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 98, 133116 (2011).
- N. Sai, K. Leung and J.R. Chelikowsky: “Hybrid density functional study of oligothiophene/ZnO interface for photovoltaics,” Phys. Rev. B 83, 121309 (2011).
- J.R. Chelikowsky, T.-L. Chan, M.M.G Alemany and G. Dalpian: “Computational studies of doped nanostructures,” Rep. Prog. Phys. 74, 046501 (2011).
- J.R. Chelikowsky: “Algorithms for Predicting the Physical Properties of Nanocrystals and Large Clusters,” Computational Nanoscience , Computational Nanoscience, RSC Theoretical and Computational Chemistry Series No. 4, editor: Elena Bichoutskaia, (Royal Society of Chemistry, London, 2011), p. 1.
- J.R. Chelikowsky: “Electrons in Semiconductors: Empirical and ab initio Pseudopotential Theories,” Bhattacharya P, Fornari R and Kamimura H, (eds.), Comprehensive Semiconductor Science and
Technology , volume 1, pp. 1–41 (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2011).
- J.R. Chelikowsky: “Tools for Predicting Nanomaterial Properties,” Handbook of Nanophysics 1 , K. Sattler, editor in chief. (Taylor and Francis, Boca Raton, 2011), p.3-1.
- K.H. Khoo, A.T. Zayak, H. Kwak and J.R. Chelikowsky: “First-principles study of confinement effects on the Rahman spectra of Si Nanocrystals,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 115504 (2010).
- I. Vasliev and J.R. Chelikowsky: “Real-space calculations of atomic and molecular polarizabilities using asymptotically correct exchange-correlation potentials,” Phys. Rev. A 81, 012502 (2010).