What are the minimum admissions requirements?

There are currently no precise minimum admissions requirements to be admitted into chemical engineering as they change on a yearly basis depending on the pool of applicants. The Office of Admissions reviews all applications and makes decisions using a holistic review process when reviewing applications. Students who have automatic admission to UT do not obtain a guaranteed spot into the Cockrell School of Engineering; admission into engineering is also based on a variety of factors. The entire application is taken into consideration so we recommend spending a considerable amount of time working on the essays, letters of recommendation, resume, etc.

What are the application deadlines?

We recommend that you stay up-to-date with the admissions process by visiting the Office of Admissions website.

Can I apply for spring admission?

No. First-year students can apply for summer or fall, and external transfer students can apply for fall.

How do I get into chemical engineering if I was admitted to another major at UT?

UT students who were not admitted into chemical engineering as a first-year student can apply for internal transfer (major change).  All internal transfer decisions are made at the college level.  Please see this page for information about internal transfer.

How can I visit UT?

We encourage you to visit campus and take part in an admissions information session and tour of the campus. The admissions info session is helpful if you have more questions about the application process. You can set this up online by visiting the Office of Admissions website.

The Cockrell School of Engineering also offers information sessions to prospective students and their families where you can learn more about engineering at UT. Visit the Engineering Information Sessions section on their website.

How can I be considered for scholarships?

Please see this page for information about scholarships.

I already have a bachelor's degree, but I am interested in applying for admission to the chemical engineering undergraduate program. What steps must I take?

If you have earned a bachelor's from a different school, you would apply for admission to chemical engineering as an external transfer student. 

How much is tuition for the chemical engineering degree at UT Austin?

Use UT Austin's tuition calculator to discover your specific cost.

Incoming student resources

The university provides plenty of support to students during their first semester. New Student Services (NSS) steers new Longhorns through an excellent orientation program and provides resources to get students acclimated with college life.

NSS organizes several orientation sessions throughout the year, one session in the fall and spring and multiple sessions in the summer. Registration is easy with a university ID number. The office explains UT Lingo, or common university terms, and provides campus maps. From getting a student ID card and university email account to recommended immunizations, NSS can answer all new student questions.

The International Office hosts orientation events for international students. Information sessions provide assistance with health insurance, employment and taxes, and U.S. law.  Social events are also part of the program.

Questions relating to the Cockrell School of Engineering are addressed in FAQs for Admitted Students. At the department level, the Advising page is the best source for incoming student guidance.