Allen, David T. Ph.D.
Melvin H. Gertz Regents Chair in Chemical Engineering
|Office:||CPE 3.462||Mailing Address:|
|Phone:||(512) 471-0049||The University of Texas at Austin|
|Fax:||–||McKetta Department of Chemical Engineering|
||200 E Dean Keeton St. Stop C0400|
|UT Mail:||C0400||Austin, TX 78712-1589|
Research Areas: Energy and Environmental Engineering
Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, California Institute of Technology (1983)
M.S., Chemical Engineering, California Institute of Technology (1981)
B.S., Chemical Engineering, Cornell University (1979)
CHE 341 Design for Environment
UGS 303 Sustaining a Planet
Air quality and environmental sustainability
Dr. David Allen is the author of six books and over 200 papers in areas ranging from coal liquefaction and heavy oil chemistry to the chemistry of urban atmospheres. For the past decade, his work has focused primarily on urban air quality and the development of materials for environmental and engineering education. Dr. Allen was a lead investigator for the first and second Texas Air Quality Studies, which involved hundreds of researchers drawn from around the world, and which have had a substantial impact on the direction of air quality policies in Texas. He has developed environmental educational materials for engineering curricula and for the University’s core curriculum, as well as engineering education materials for high school students.
Awards & Honors
ConocoPhillips Lecturer, Oklahoma State University (2010)
Research Excellence Award, Sustainable Engineering Forum, American Institute of Chemical Engineers (2009)
University of Dayton, von Ohain Fuels and Combustion Center, Distinguished Lecturer, December (2009)
Air and Waste Management Association Best Paper Award (2009)
Joe J. King Professional Engineering Achievement Award (2007)
Distinguished Lecturer, Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (2007)
University of Texas Excellence in Teaching Award (2007)
Yale University/Journal of Industrial Ecology: Award for contributions to Industrial Ecology and service to the Journal of Industrial Ecology (2006)
National Associate of the U.S. National Academies of Science and Engineering (2004)
Governor’s Environmental Excellence Award (2002)
Lawrence Cecil Award, American Institute of Chemical Engineers (2000)
AT&T Foundation Fellow in Industrial Ecology (1993)
Award for Excellence in Teaching (1986)
Presidential Young Investigator (1986)
- Zhu, Y., J. Pudota, D. Collins, D. Allen, A. Clements, A. Denbleyker, M. Fraser, Y. Jia, E. McDonald-Buller, E, Michel “Air pollutant Concentrations near 3 Texas Roadways, Part 1: Ultrafine Particles, Atmospheric Environment, 43, 4513-4522 (2009).
- Jia, Y., A. Denbleyker, E. McDonald-Buller, M. Fraser, D. T. Allen, E, Michel, D.R. Collins, J. Pudota, Y. Zhu “Air pollutant Concentrations near 3 Texas Roadways, Part 2: Chemical Characterization and Transformation of Pollutants, Atmospheric Environment, 43, 4523-4534, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2009.06.044 (2009).
- Murphy, C., D.T. Allen, B. Allenby, J. Crittenden, C. Davidson, C. Hendrickson and S. Matthews “Sustainability in Engineering Education and Research at U.S. Universities” Environmental Science and Technology (Feature and cover article), 43, 5558-5564 (2009).
- Parrish, D.D., D.T. Allen, T.S. Bates, M. Estes, F.C. Fehsenfeld, G. Feingold, R. Ferrare, R.M. Hardesty, J.F. Meagher, J.W. Nielsen-Gammon, R.B.Pierce, T.B. Ryerson, J.H. Seinfeld, E.J. Williams “Overview of the Second Texas Air Quality Study (TexAQS II) and the Gulf of Mexico Atmospheric Composition and Climate Study (GoMACCS)”, Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres, 114, D00F13, doi:10.1029/2009JD011842 (2009).
- Whitten, G.Z., G. Heo, Y. Kimura, E. McDonald-Buller, D.T. Allen and G. Yarwood “A New Condensed Toluene Mechanism for Carbon Bond: CB05-TU”, Atmospheric Environment, 44, 5346-5355 (2010).
- G. Heo, Y. Kimura, E. McDonald-Buller, W.P.L. Carter and D.T. Allen “Modeling Alkene Chemistry using Condensed Mechanisms for Conditions Relevant to Southeast Texas, USA”, Atmospheric Environment, 44, 5365-5374 (2010).
- Feldman, M.S., Howard, T.,McDonald-Buller, E.C.,Mullins, G., Allen, D.T., Hansel, A. and Wisthaler, A. “Applications of Satellite Remote Sensing Data for Estimating Biogenic Emissions in Southeastern Texas”, Atmospheric Environment, 44, 917-929 (2010).
- Wang, Y.J., DenBleyker, A., McDonald-Buller, E., Allen, D., and Zhang, K.M. “Modeling the chemical evolution of nitrogen oxides near roadways, Atmospheric Environment, in press (2010).
- Thompson, T., King, C., Allen, D.T. and Webber, M. “Air Quality Impacts of PHEVs in Texas Evaluating Three Charging Scenarios”, Environmental Research Letters, in press (2011).
- Alhajeri, N. McDonald-Buller, E. and Allen, D.T. “Comparisons of air quality impacts of fleet electrification to the widespread use of biofuels”, submitted to Environmental Research Letters, in press (2011).